Series of Rapes and Attempted Rapes in Brooklyn get Community Response
While I was paying attention to the recent election, my wife, who is now a Karate instructor for an all-woman/transgender dojo, has been paying attention to this.
So briefly, there have been a series of assaults in the south Slope, Greenwood Heights, Windsor Terrace and Sunset Park - some attempted rapes and one rape. In response to perceived or actual lack of interest on the part of the cops (for instance, there was a video of one of the attacks, and they were unwilling to look at it), the community got together to pressure local electeds to take some action. People (not sure exactly who) went to a community/police meeting last night, and tonight there is a rally, described below. Brad Lander and Sara Gonzalez asked CAE to hold some workshops, so we are holding three (will send a separate email describing those) - one at the dojo, and two in Sunset Park. One will be in Spanish and English.
Tracy and the dojo have been on the news twice so far - once on ABC (will send you the link), and once on NBC.
The news clips...with ads, of course.
First one has Joy in the background. Can't embed so here is the link: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brooklyn-Sex-Attacks-Suspects-Sough...
Second video embeds:
From the Dojo Joy trains at, for any women or transgendered people who want self-defense training (Joy is teaching some herself):
Upcoming Fall Classes, pass it on!
If you would like to sign up for any of the classes below, please respond to this email to register or call 718-788-1775. We welcome you to pass this on to any other people who might benefit from these classes.
* FREE After-school Karate and Self-Defense for Teen Women & Transyouth (Ages 12-19): Power, Action, Change for Teens begins September 22nd from 4:30-6:30pm, and will continue on Thursdays from 4:30-6:30pm throughout the school year. PACT students practice verbal and physical self-defense skills, and engage in community learning projects. PACT discussions and activities center around topics such as youth rights and women's rights, relationship safety, building healthy relationships, and community involvement. Also, students who have attended PACT for 1-2 years can train to become Peer Educators, and get paid to teach self-defense workshops for children and teens here at CAE and all over NYC! You can read more about PACT on CAE's website, by clicking here.
* FREE 5-week Self-Defense for Teen Women & Transyouth (Ages 12-19): Saturdays, October 15th-November 12th from 12:00-2:00pm @ YWCA of Brooklyn, 30 Third Ave.
* 5-week Self-Defense for Adult Women & Transpeople: Saturdays, October 15th-November 12th from 3:00-5:30pm @ CAE, 327 7th Street Brooklyn, NY 11215. The course is FREE to survivors of domestic abuse and sexual assault, and on a sliding scale based on income for everyone else. Free childcare is available upon request.
* As always, Karate and Tai Chi are offered throughout the year. Please refer to our website for full class listings.
* In response to the recent attacks in the South Slope and Sunset Park neighborhoods, CAE is partnering with Couniclmembers Sara Gonzalez and Brad Lander to provide free classes in Spanish and English at the following times. Please pass on the information and email email@example.com or call 718-788-1775 to register in advance. Space is limited.
* Saturday, September 17th, 4-5:30pm - English, at The Center for Anti-Violence Education on 327 7th Street, 2nd Floor (btwn 4th and 5th Aves). FREE CHILDCARE is available. Space is limited, so try to RSVP. Sponsored by Councilmember Lander.
* Monday, September 19th, 6-8:30pm - Spanish and English, at PS10 on 511 Seventh Avenue at 17th Street in Sunset Park. Try to RSVP. Sponsored by Councilmember Gonzalez.
* Tuesday, September 20th, 6-8:30pm - English, at PS10 in Sunset Park on 511 Seventh Avenue at 17th Street in Sunset Park. Try to RSVP. Sponsored by Councilmember Gonzalez.
I should note, to be fair, that Joy and I have had differences with Brad Lander in the past. On this we are in agreement and Brad and Sara have been among the ONLY electeds who have been responsive. I bet some more will jump on board...I hope so. But I recognize that Brad and Sara have taken the lead.